Friday, May 23, 2008

A brief time warp

In recovering from this week's busy-ness, I just realized it's Friday, and I'm just now reporting that Luke did indeed come home Tuesday afternoon after his surgery.  He handled it like a little champ, being just a bit fussy for a couple nights.  His dressing was due to come off last night, and he indeed does have some "redundant skin," though not as redundant as I was prepared for.  I was picturing elephant trunk.  It's more like weird little flap.

Today was their 2-week follow-up with their pedia.  Dr. McLaren was quite impressed with their weight gain: Bowen at a whopping 8#8oz, Luke at 6#14oz.  Had they gone to term, I think I would have had about 15-16 lbs of baby in me!  (There are some blessings in a preemie birth!)  Luke's anemia has resolved.  Meanwhile Bowen's jaundice is on a very SLOW path of resolving, leaving him with a beautiful olive complexion.  In addition to his skin tone, his extra pound and a half and much thicker hair leaves us with what Chris refers to as our "nonidentical identicals."

For the dog lovers:  We haven't allowed the dogs to interact too much with the boys just yet in an attempt to keep germs at bay.  (Although, the pups do like to lick some baby toes when they get the chance.)  So we don't know entirely how fond/un-fond/aware of the babies the dogs are.  But apparently Beau is a little sweet on these kids.  Yesterday both boys were crying in stereo while I was warming bottles.  As I stood tapping my fingers on the counter in front of the bottle warmer (because that makes it go faster), I felt I was being watched.  I looked up to see Beau-dog standing in the doorway between the kitchen & the LR (where the boys were in their bassinette), with a stance that said "Don't you hear them crying?  What are you doing?  Take care of them already!"  Poor thing; he seemed rather distressed, until I headed to the LR with bottles in hand.  (George is more concerned with seeing how many times he can get away with snatching a dirty diaper from the trash.)

Okay, I know I keep promising pictures, but lately naps trump going through photos.  But I really will get to it soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Beau! He' so smart. Glad things are going well.
Hey - where is that pic of you kissing Luke (I think it was Luke's) head in the NICU? I saved it on my computer and can't find it now. so i went to the old caring bridge website to download your first family photo and that pic again - poof! gone! any idea if you can upload them somewhere else? THANKS for the updates. Sounds wonderful. And thank you for thinking of me, Darla, you are ana amazing friend. love yoU!
p.s. now i'm singing "rocky horror picture show" LETS DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN over and over arghhh!!