Monday, May 19, 2008

Luke's Surgery Went Well

Big weekend for the boys.  They had their first away baby-sitting experience.  Honey & Dude (Cathcart GPs) kept the boys Sun evening so we could go eat dinner with friends.  Nana & Papa kept Bowen overnight Sunday so we could focus on Luke's surgery prep.  Kudos to Nana who did 1 and 4 am feeds!  (She told on you, Papa, for nudging her to get up for your crying grandson in the middle of the night - haha).  They also met Uncle Wayne & Aunt Ellan, and my grad school friends Ellen & Kim.

Luke & I survived his "npo after midnight" status.  I think his being stressed out over hunger bothered me more than the actual surgery.  Maybe it's because I don't do well on hunger:)  Thank God for the person who invented pacifiers - that person's a genius.

Luke's surgery was completed about an hour ago.  We are hanging out at Schumpert now, waiting for him to return from recovery.  The doc called & said he had inguinal hernias on both sides (surprise, surprise).  Also, since his umbilical hernia had begun to grow extensions, he has what the doc refers to as "redundant skin" hanging from his belly button.  But fortunately that should go away as he gets bigger (like age 2).  In the meantime, it will make for oddly entertaining diaper changes for sitters.  And a weird spot to clean during bath time.  And hopefully not something to get caught in future pant zippers. . . .  He & Chris will stay overnight at Schumpert tonight, and Bowen & I will be at the house.  Good thing we only had twins - one adult for every kid.  

So I'll try to put up some new pics later this week.

7 comments:

Smith + Long said...

so glad that things went well with the surgery!!! what a blessing...thanks for keeping us updated on the boys! they are gorgeous by the way!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the surgery went well!
Angela

Anonymous said...

wonderful news that everything went well and that you had the help you needed to get things done. Test is this Thursday! So I'm a nervous wreck - but dont worry i was still praying for safe surgery today! take care, sweetie! can't wait to meet the boys!!!

margot

Kerry said...

Good news! I'm so proud of that little boy.
And redundant skin is my new favorite phrase. When you get older you have more redundant skin! LOL.

Anonymous said...

Very good. I was wondering about that since I was away from internet this weekend. Talk soon.
Kayce

irene said...

Hi there -
Hopefully I am doing this right and you will be able to see my comments :-)
So glad to hear that all is going well with the boys. You are doing a great job with all of your postings to keep everyone up to date on the boys daily progress!
Great photos!!!

The Peyton Family said...

So glad to hear the boys are doing well. We just started a blog as well and I figured out how to put pictures in your post I'll be glad to let you know how to do it if you would like. Can't wait to meet the boys!

Michelle Peyton