Friday, June 6, 2008

The week in subheadings



This week recounted, starting from Monday . . . 

CLOSE CALL
on Monday.  But the story starts on Sunday, when Chris accidentally cut a power cord with the weedeater, unknowingly tripping a breaker.  That night, he commented that our $20 bathroom CD/radio combo was not working.  I promptly put it in the trash (I'm in clean-it-out mode) without bothering to test it in other outlets.  (You can kind of see where this is going.)  The next afternoon, I was getting ready for Luke's f/u appointment for his surgery.  I plugged in my rather expensive flatiron (in the same bathroom), and it would not turn on.  I tried different outlets in the bathroom, no luck.  Hm.  I plugged in an older cheaper flatiron.  No luck.  Perhaps a brush & hairdryer would suffice - but my rather expensive hairdryer - you guessed - dead.  Then the light bulb above my head . . . I traipsed out to the garage & sure enough, the breaker for the bathroom had been thrown.  I flipped it back on, and when I did, I heard the deep freezer cut on.  My heart sank.  Not because of the 3-year-old deer meat (maybe I should add cleaning out the deep freeze to my list).  And not because of the ready-to-eat frozen casseroles.  No, it was the 3 months worth of breast milk.  Three months of days & nights of being tied to that yellow machine, a permanent coffee table fixture (the Medela Symphony, for those of you familiar).  I panicked!  I threw open the lid and began checking bags.  Fortunately, only the very top bags had begun to defrost, which was okay because we could use them that day.  So thank God for Luke's hernia surgery, or I would not have been getting ready to leave the house and would not have discovered the breaker was thrown, possibly for days!  (Chris does not use anything electrical in the bathroom dept - meanwhile, I don't flatiron my hair for a day spent with 2 dogs & 2 babies.)  Oh, and the casseroles were okay too.  And we were able to retrieve the CD/radio.  And yes, Chris & I also think it is weird that the garage and our bathroom are on the same breaker - they're on opposite ends of the house.  Whatever.

LUKE KEEPS IT INTERESTING
by getting a localized infection around his umbilical hernia repair.  Fortunately it cropped up during the week, and not on Saturday morning.  He went back to Dr. Sorrells today, who concurred with our diagnosis and handed us a prescription for antibiotics.  I think Luke just likes making me take him to a Dr. appt at least once a week.  Perhaps he misses the hospital.  Poor kid.

AND CHRIS GETS READY TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY
for real.  He leaves on the 12th for Amsterdam.  10 days.  I'm bracing myself for 10 days of going it alone.  It makes me really admire moms whose hubbies are off and away for long stretches when a newborn (or two, ha!) is around. . . um, military wives, trucker wives, professional athletes' wives (that's for you, Leann! - I will so feel your pain from last year!). . . Which means, he will not be home for his first Father's Day.  That part really stinks. . . Oh yeah, so it's for his MBA which he is pursuing long-distance from Auburn.  And no lie, his agenda says they will be discussing the use of "hashish" for medicinal purposes??.  He'll have to post about that.  Good, groovy times!  He better bring me a really good souvenir, but not that kind:)

AND SPEAKING OF CHRIS' MBA WORK,
the photo at the top depicts Luke helping Chris with homework.  It's tough, but somebody's gotta help Daddy out.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Sorry about the power issue! So grateful that it didn't turn out worse. As a pumping mother, I was having a heart attack as I read the post.
Love the daddy pic with baby. Is that Luke?
Take care, and love to read your posts!
Erin

Ashley said...

Bless your heart!!!!

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! Literally! Glad that the milk wasn't ruined. My kiddo quit taking milk the moment we introduced formula. I had to throw out about 60 ounces. It broke my heart. But it wasn't going to be good the for the second baby and the milk banks only take 200+ ounces.